Series schedule; Photos
Kohli (40) was out hit-wicket to legspinner Adil Rashid at the Saurashtra Cricket Association (SCA) ground on Saturday to join a list of 21 other Indian batsmen who ended their innings in this way.
On the third ball of the 120th over, Kohli played a pull shot to Rashid and in the process went back and his left foot touched the legstump resulting in the bails being dislodged.
England fielders appealed and it was referred to the TV umpire, who, after watching replays, declared Kohli out. At this stage, India were 361/6 in reply to the visitors' 537.
Kohli is the first Indian captain since Lala Amarnath, in 1949 (versus West Indies, in Chennai), to be dismissed hit-wicket. The last man before Kohli to be given out hit-wicket was VVS Laxman, in 2002, against West Indies.
Here is the full list of Indian batsmen out hit-wicket in Test cricket
1. Lala Amarnath - 13 runs (1949, Vs West Indies in Chennai)
2. Madhav Apte - 30 (1953, Vs WI in Georgetown)
3. Naren Tamhane - 5 (1959, Vs WI in Delhi)
4. Chandu Borde - 96 (1959, Vs WI in Delhi)
5. Budhi Kunderan - 2 (1960, Vs Australia in Mumbai, Brabourne Stadium)
6. Dilip Sardesai - 28 (1961, Vs England in Kanpur)
7. Vijay Manjrekar - 0 (1962, Vs WI in Port of Spain)
8. Hanumant Singh - 0 (1965, Vs New Zealand in Mumbai, Brabourne Stadium)
9. ML Jaisimha - 1 (1965, Vs NZ in New Delhi)
10. Syed Abid Ali - 78 (1968, Vs Australia in Sydney)
11. Madan Lal - 7 (1974, Vs England in Manchester)
12. Vinoo Mankad - 43 (1974, Vs England in Birmingham)
13. Brijesh Patel - 21 (1977, Vs England in Kolkata)
14. Dilip Vengsarkar - 48 (1977, Vs Australia in Brisbane)
15. Mohinder Amarnath - 20 (1978, Vs Pakistan in Lahore)
16. M Amarnath - 2 (1979, Vs Australia in Mumbai)
17. M Amarnath - 37 (1984, Vs Pakistan in Faisalabad)
18. Kiran More - 6 (1989, Vs WI in Kingston)
19. Nayan Mongia - 34 (1994, Vs WI in Mohali)
20. Shiv Sunder Das - 39 (2001, Vs Australia in Kolkata)
21. VVS Laxman - 130 (2002, Vs WI in St. John's)
22. Virat Kohli - 40 (2016, Vs England in Rajkot)