London, October 8: The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has conditionally approved for The Ashes tour to go ahead in Australia.
England captain Joe Root and his deputy Jos Buttler are among the players who stated they were not ready to commit to the five-match series due to uncertainty over coronavirus restrictions.
Bubble fatigue and quarantine periods for the players' families are issues that have been raised, leading to doubts over whether the five-match Test series – due to start at The Gabba on December 8 – will go ahead.
The ECB on Friday confirmed England will tour Australia, providing "several critical conditions" are met before they board the plane.
"Over recent weeks we have made excellent progress in moving forward on the England men's Ashes Tour," an ECB statement said.
"To facilitate further progress and allow a squad to be selected, The ECB Board has met today and given its approval for the tour to go ahead.
"This decision is subject to several critical conditions being met before we travel.
"We look forward to the ongoing assistance from Cricket Australia in resolving these matters in the coming days."
Australia captain Tim Paine earlier stated he expects England to bring a "really strong" side to Australia, with only "one or two" players opting out of the tour.
"I'm hearing a lot of their players will commit," the wicketkeeper told SEN Radio.
"There might be one or two that don't, but I think we'll see a really strong England side come out here."
Australia's prime minister Scott Morrison last month warned England will not benefit from any "special deals" regarding quarantine rules when they arrive in the country.
Paine says he has spoken to the prime minister as Australia wait for confirmation that England will make the long journey to try to regain the urn.
"He was keen to find out what the sticking points might be from a player's perspective," said Paine of his conversations with Morrison.
"I shared a few text messages with him. He loves his cricket."