Madrid, February 4: Barcelona midfielder Ivan Rakitic could make a surprise move to Atletico Madrid ahead of next season.
The Croatia international is reportedly unhappy at Camp Nou and has been linked with a move away since the off-season.
Now, a stay in La Liga could eventuate, but away from Barcelona.
TOP STORY – ATLETICO BEGIN TALKS WITH BARCELONA'S RAKITIC
Atletico Madrid are already negotiating with Rakitic about a possible move at the end of the season, according to Cadena SER.
The 31-year-old is contracted at Barcelona, where he arrived from Sevilla in 2014, until 2021.
Rakitic admitted on Sunday (February 2) he considered leaving the club in January, and it seems a move is likely come season's end.
ÚLTIMA HORA | Informa @ManuCarreno
El Atlético de Madrid ya ha iniciado los contactos para fichar a IVAN RAKITIC en junio
Ya estuvo en la agenda del Atlético y es objetivo prioritario para la próxima temporada pic.twitter.com/JbCX4JHiuv— El Larguero (@ellarguero) February 3, 2020
- Amid reported interest from Manchester United and Arsenal, James Maddison is close to agreeing a new contract with Leicester City, according to The Telegraph. Maddison has starred for the Premier League club this season and is poised to sign a lucrative long-term deal.
- Frank Lampard is set to face a battle at Chelsea. The Mirror reports the head coach wants to sell Kepa Arrizabalaga – who became the world's most expensive goalkeeper when he arrived at Stamford Bridge from Athletic Bilbao for a reported £71.6million (€80m) in 2018 – but is set to face resistance from the board.
- Atletico Madrid and Roma are interested in Manchester United midfielder Jesse Lingard, according to ESPN. Lingard is coming out of contract in 2021 but also holds a one-year extension option at Old Trafford.
- Are Milan set for another coaching change? Bild reports Red Bull's head of international relations and scouting, Ralf Rangnick, is in advanced talks to become the Serie A club's head coach and sporting director once the season is over. Stefano Pioli only took charge of Milan in October, replacing Marco Giampaolo.
- Inter almost signed Islam Slimani, who is on loan at Monaco from Leicester City, last month, according to CalcioMercato, which reports the Serie A club's move came late in January before collapsing.