Get Instant News Updates
Enable
x
Notification Settings X
Time Settings
Done
Clear Notification X
Do you want to clear all the notifications from your inbox?
Settings X

Tokyo 2020: Australia denies collusion rumours in decision to pull out of Games

Tokyo 2020

Bengaluru, March 30: The Australian Olympic Committee (AOC) has said its decision to pull out of the 2020 Tokyo Games was unilateral and made without the knowledge of Canada or the International Olympic Committee (IOC).

The AOC had announced last week that it could not assemble a team for 2020 because of complications brought by the coronavirus, the announcement coming quickly after the Canada Olympic and Paralympic committees confirmed they would not send athletes.

The double-withdrawal prompted speculation that the two national Olympic committees may have acted in concert with the IOC to give the global body leverage to postpone Tokyo Games.

Coronavirus: AOC tells athletes to prepare for postponed Olympic Games

Canada has already denied any such arrangement and the AOC followed suit.

"Any assertions that a decision by the Australian Olympic Committee (AOC) to tell its athletes to plan for a Tokyo Olympic Games in 2021 was done in concert with either the International Olympic Committee (IOC) or the Canadian Olympic Committee (COC) are completely incorrect," the AOC said in a emailed statement to international news agency Reuters.

The AOC said its decision followed a sequence of events, which included the IOC's announcement that the global body was conducting "scenario planning" for Tokyo, with postponement among the options.

The IOC's announcement came a day after Australian authorities announced a slew of measures aimed at containing the coronavirus, including travel curbs and quarantine requirements at national and state borders.

"This meant our athletes could not continue their training programs," the AOC said.

The effect of the government measures and the IOC's scenario planning prompted a special meeting of the AOC's executive board.

"The effect of these measures as outlined, informed the Executive's conclusion that an Australian Olympic Team could not depart our shores for a Games at any time within the next six months, at least," the AOC added.

"The AOC Executive considered it in the best interests of the health and safety of our athletes that they return to their homes and families as soon as possible, particularly as border closures were progressively being introduced.

"At no point were either the IOC or COC aware of, or involved in, this process."

(With inputs from Agencies)

For Quick Alerts
Subscribe Now
For Quick Alerts
ALLOW NOTIFICATIONS
For Daily Alerts
Story first published: Monday, March 30, 2020, 14:32 [IST]
Other articles published on Mar 30, 2020
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. This includes cookies from third party social media websites and ad networks. Such third party cookies may track your use on Mykhel sites for better rendering. Our partners use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Mykhel website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time. Learn more