Bengaluru, July 29: Thursday (July 29) was probably one of the best days for India at the Tokyo Olympics until veteran boxer Mary Kom bowed out of the Games.
While Mary Kom lost her round of 16 women's flyweight bout, shuttler PV Sindhu, boxer Satish Kumar and the men's hockey team booked a quarter-final spot in their respective events at Tokyo 2020.
Archer Atanu Das also progressed to the 1/8 elimination round in men's individual event. Meanwhile, shooter Manu Bhaker and golfer Anirban Lahiri also had a good day at the office.
Now, the attention shifts to Friday (July 30) when Athletics - the track and field events are all set to begin. As far as India are concerned, they will have a sprinter, steeplechaser, hurdler and mixed relay team in action.
However, the main focus for India will be Sindhu, who is set to play the quarter-final in women's singles event alongside Boxer Lovlina Borgohain, who is one win away from assuring a medal in the women's welterweight category.
Also in focus will be Archer Deepika Kumar, who is set for 1/8 Eliminator in women's individual event, and shooter Bhaker, who looks to continue from where she left off in the 25m Pistol qualification.
Meanwhile, the men's and women's hockey team will both be in action alongside golfers, sailors, boxer Simranjit Kaur and Equestrian Fouaad Mirza, who make their Olympics debut.
With a lot of action lined up, mykhel compiles the Indian schedule for Friday (July 30) with timings in IST:
Women's Individual 1/8 Eliminator
• Deepika Kumari vs Ksenia Perova - 6 AM (if qualified - Quarterfinal - 11.30 AM, Semi-final - 12.15 PM, bronze medal match - 1 PM and gold medal match - 1.15 PM)
Men's 3000m Steeplechase
• Avinash Sable - Heat 2 - 6.17 AM
Men's 400m Hurdles
• M. P. Jabir - Heat 5 - 8.27 AM
Dutee Chand - Heat 5 - 9.17 AM
4x400m Mixed Relay
• Sarthak Bhambri, Alex Antony, Revathi Veeramani, Subha Venkatesan and Dhanalakshmi Sekar - Heat 2 - 4.42 PM
Women's Singles Quarterfinal
• PV Sindhu vs Akan Yamaguchi - 1.15 PM
Women's Lightweight Round of 16
• Simranjit Kaur vs Sudaporn Seesondee - 8.18 AM
Women's Welterweight Quarterfinal
• Lovlina Borgohain vs Chen Nien-chin - 8.48 AM
Individual Eventing - Dressage
• Fouaad Mirza - Session 1 - 5 AM and Session 2 - 2 PM.
Men's Individual - Round 2 - starts at 4 AM
• Anirban Lahiri and Udayan Mane
• Women's team vs Ireland - 9.15 AM
• Men's team vs Japan - 3 PM
Men's Skiff 49er - KC Ganapathy and Varun Thakkar
• Race 7 - 8.35 AM, Race 8 - TBD, Race 9 - TBD
Women's One Person Dinghy
Laser Radial - Nethra Kumaran
• Race 9 - 8.35 AM, Race 10 - TBD
Men's One Person Dinghy
Laser - Vishnu Sarvanan
• Race 9 - 11.05 AM, Race 10 - TBD
Women's 25m Pistol Qualification Rapid
• Manu Bhaker and Rahi Sarnobat - 5.30 AM (If qualified, 25m Pistol Final - 10.30 AM)