With isolated spots of rain during Q1, and grey clouds hanging over Assen as Q2 got underway, riders had the hammer down straight away. Both Martin and Quartararo broke the all time lap record on their first flying laps, the former on a 1:31.708 and the latter just 0.010 seconds slower.
At the end of the opening runs, they were still top two and Bagnaia third at 0.311 seconds off the pace, with Quartararo returning to the pits via an excursion through the gravel.
Pol Espargaro pulls out
Earlier, Repsol Honda Team's Pol Espargaro pulled out of the race due to injuries sustained at the Sachsenring. Since suffering his fall in Free Practice 1 at the German GP, Pol tried his maximum in order to recover and be fit for Round 11 of the 2022 FIM MotoGP World Championship.
After free practice 2, Pol was still in intense pain and discomfort. Consequently, he felt he was not capable of racing a MotoGP bike and together and decided to sit out the race in Assen.
Luca Marini (Mooney VR46 Racing Team) missed out on advancing to Q2 by just over three tenths of a second and is set to line up 13th on the starting grid.
It had been Joan Mir (Team Suzuki Ecstar) who was third-fastest in Q1 on a 1:32.898 when he folded the front of his GSX-RR at De Strubben leaving him 14th on the grid with Fabio Di Giannantonio taking 15th position.
The MotoGP riders will be back on-track for the warm up on Sunday at 9.40am local time (1.20pm IST) then it's lights out for what is shaping up to be another Assen thriller at 2pm local time (5.30pm IST). Indian audience can catch all the action live on Eurosport channel.
THE GRID (TOP 10):
1. Francesco Bagnaia (Ducati Lenovo Team) - 1:31.504
2. Fabio Quartararo (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) + 0.116
3. Jorge Martin (Prima Pramac Racing) + 0.204
4. Marco Bezzecchi (Mooney VR46 Racing Team) + 0.292
5. Aleix Espargaro (Aprilia Racing) + 0.364
6. Jack Miller (Ducati Lenovo Team) + 0.620
7. Johann Zarco (Prima Pramac Racing) + 0.671
8. Miguel Oliveira (Red Bull KTM Factory Racing) + 0.768
9. Alex Rins (Team Suzuki Ecstar) + 0.803
10. Brad Binder (Red Bull KTM Factory Racing) + 0.863