Kuala Lumpur, February 21: World No.2 Lee Chong Wei has revealed he once rejected an offer by a match-fixer and said he was "ashamed" two fellow Malaysian badminton players were under investigation over alleged fixing.
Lee said he was approached a few years ago, without giving further details.
"Money isn't everything to me," he was quoted as saying in Kuala Lumpur by Malaysia's New Straits Times newspaper.
Lee Chong Wei says he was approached by badminton match-fixer amid investigation of Malaysian players https://t.co/l89MWb62Wf— Buletin Malaysia (@buletinmalaysia) February 21, 2018
"For me, national pride comes first and it's my responsibility to uphold it."
The 35-year-old's revelation came after news emerged last week that two Malaysian players are being investigated by the Badminton World Federation (BWF) for suspected match-fixing.
The pair, who are reportedly due to face a BWF hearing in Singapore later this month, could be banned for life if found guilty.
Lee, a three-time Olympic silver medallist, said the allegations had "tarnished" Malaysia's reputation.
"As a top player, I feel embarrassed and ashamed," he said. "I hope the case comes to an end soon."
Malaysian sports officials have declined to identify the two players embroiled in the scandal, who have been suspended, or give details of the allegations against them.
Lee, who will play in next month's All England Championship in Birmingham, said the match-fixing scandal has in a way tarnished the reputation of Malaysian badminton.
"It has tarnished our good reputation. The two who are being investigated may not be under our federation, but they still wear our Malaysian flag on their chest.
"As a top player, I feel embarrassed and ashamed. I hope the case comes to an end soon.
"I also understand that our federation will take a stern action on those involved in it," Lee added.