Get Instant News Updates
Enable
x
Notification Settings X
Time Settings
Done
Clear Notification X
Do you want to clear all the notifications from your inbox?
Settings X

Momota faces two months out after fatal car crash

By Pti

Tokyo, January 14: World number one Kento Momota could be out for two months after being injured in a car crash that killed his driver just hours after he won the Malaysia Masters on Sunday (January 12).

The 25-year-old Japanese suffered cuts and bruising in the accident near Kuala Lumpur but is aiming to return at the All England Championships on March 11, said Kinji Zeniya, secretary general of Japan's Badminton Association on Tuesday (January 14).

Zeniya told reporters that Momota, who won a record 11 titles last year had "extraordinary enthusiasm towards the Olympics" this year in Tokyo but urged Japan's home gold medal hope to take time to recuperate fully.

"I hope he will do his best without pushing and rushing himself too hard and without being impatient," said Zeniya.

Momota has been in hospital since Monday following the crash with a slow-moving lorry as his party were driving to the airport.

World number one Momota hurt, driver killed in Malaysia crash

The driver was killed at the scene while Momota received cuts to his face and bruising all over his body, Zeniya said, denying previous reports that he had broken his nose and chin.

An assistant coach, physiotherapist, and badminton official were also injured. Momota will return to Japan on Wednesday (January 15), Zeniya said, and would receive further medical checks.

"Cuts will be healed, but what will happen to the bruising later? I know injuries from car accidents can emerge after some time," Zeniya said.

The accident happened after the dominant Japanese star began his 2020 season in style Sunday with victory over Denmark's Viktor Axelsen in Kuala Lumpur.

Momota enjoyed unrivalled success in 2019, winning a record 11 titles including the World Championships, Asia Championships and All England Championships, a dramatic turnaround for a player who had been banned for gambling in 2016.

For Quick Alerts
Subscribe Now
For Quick Alerts
ALLOW NOTIFICATIONS
For Daily Alerts

Story first published: Tuesday, January 14, 2020, 15:34 [IST]
Other articles published on Jan 14, 2020
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. This includes cookies from third party social media websites and ad networks. Such third party cookies may track your use on Mykhel sites for better rendering. Our partners use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Mykhel website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time. Learn more