Lahore, Feb 9 (UNI) Accusing the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) of double standards, controversial fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar said he was said he was unable to understand the board's 'inconsistent policies'.
''I was made a scapegoat after Pakistan lost the Test and ODI series in India,'' Akhtar told mediapersons here yesterday.''I bowled my heart out with 17 overs during the Bangalore Test just to hear that I was unfit and now, suddenly, the PCB considers me fit enough to lead a team in the Pentangular Cup.'' The 32-year-old, who was critisised for his indiscipline and lack of fitness during the tour of India last year, was not included in the category A of the PCB's central contract list.
''Central contracts are not an issue because I play for my country and not for money. I will not accept retainership,'' Akhtar said adding, ''it was strange that a cricketer who had not played international cricket for the last three months was put in the category A. It is all double standards.'' The ''Rawalpindi Express'' was also bitter after being dropped for the one-series against Zimbabwe.
''I wanted to play the ODI series against Zimbabwe for getting match practice but was dropped from the team on the flimsy pretext that I was unfit,'' he said.
Akhtar, who will lead the Federal team during the inaugual Pentagular Cup organised by the PCB, said he will prove his fitness during the domestic tournament.
''I will prove my fitness with long and accurate spells during the Pentangular Cup,'' he asserted.
UNI XC AB DS1226