Nagpur/New Delhi, Nov 3 : Security around master blaster Sachin Tendulkar has been stepped up on Monday following Maharashtra Police receiving reports from Central agencies of a threat to him from Pakistan-based terror outfit Jaish-e-Mohammed.
However, intelligence sources in Delhi said they had not received any fresh input about any threat to Tendulkar other than in 2002.
The sources in security agencies said the Nagpur Police was referring to a warning issued by the Central security agencies in year 2002 when intelligence inputs suggested that Pakistan-based Jaish-e-Mohammed may target him along with other VIPs.
The Central security agencies officials were surprised when Nagpur Police Chief Praveen Dixit was seen on television making these claims prompting officials from the Home Ministry making frantic telephone calls to him asking about the source of the input.
Nagpur Police Commissioner said "the Central government has issued a high-alert for Sachin. They have information that the JeM has issued a threat to him. We have informed everyone and his security has been tightened."
Union Home Ministry sources said the alert had been sounded for all venues where India and Australia would be playing cricket test matches.
Tendulkar will be arriving for the fourth and final Test match against visiting Australia from November 6-10.
Story first published: Monday, November 3, 2008, 20:25 [IST]
Other articles published on Nov 3, 2008