Bengaluru, March 14: New Zealand all-rounder Mitchell Santner has been ruled out of cricket for up to nine months with a knee injury that requires surgery.
This means Santner will miss the IPL, where he had been bought by the Chennai Super Kings and his county cricket stint with Derbyshire.
The 26-year-old, who has been a star performer with the bat in the recent one-dayers against England, was missing from the 12-man squad named on Wednesday (March 14) for the two-Test series.
He was replaced in the squad by 31-year-old Canterbury leg-spinner Todd Astle, who was given the nod ahead of Ish Sodhi.
Santner, who has taken 34 wickets at an average of 37 from 17 Tests with his left-arm spin, experienced discomfort in his right knee during the recent limited-overs matches against England and Australia and a scan revealed a bone defect.
A further scan showed it had deteriorated further and required surgery. Santner will be operated on later this week.
"On a personal level everyone feels for Mitchell. He's a popular guy in the changing room and he's well respected for the work he puts in for the side," New Zealand coach Mike Hesson said.
"Mitchell is a key player in all three formats for us, so we'll certainly miss him in the upcoming series. It's important though that he gets this fixed and we have him back for what is a big next 18 months for us," said Hesson.