Yeddyuruppa objects to BCCI shifting IPL semi-finals out of Bangalore

Posted By: Staff

Bangalore, Apr 19 (ANI): Karnataka Chief Minister B S Yeddyuruppa has strongly objected to the Board of Control for Cricket in India's (BCCI) decision to shift the two semi-finals of the cash-rich Indian Premier League (IPL) tournament out of Bangalore over security concerns.

The BCCI had said that both semi finals would now be played in Navi Mumbai after two explosions took place outside Bangalore's M. Chinnaswamy Stadium on Saturday.

Reacting to the move, Yeddyuruppa said Bangalore is prepared to give elaborate security to the players and charged the cricket board with taking a hasty decision.

"The city police have made elaborate security arrangements and enough precautions have been taken to prevent any untoward incident," said Yeddyuruppa.

"There is no reason on the part of the BCCI to panic unnecessarily and take a hasty decision to shift the semi-final matches of the IPL outside Bangalore," he added.

He requested the cricket board to reconsider their decision.

"Karnataka Government and the police are committed to provide sufficient security to the IPL matches, and hence, I suggest the BCCI to reverse its decision and allow the semi-final matches to continue in Bangalore, as scheduled earlier," said Yeddyuruppa.

Earlier on Sunday, three bombs were defused near the M. Chinnaswamy Stadium. The first one around 100 meters from the stadium and the second one near the Gandhi Murti, also near the stadium.

A third explosive was defused near Gate Number One of the stadium.

Sources said the bombers had time placed the devices behind a flex board.

At least 12 people were wounded in the incidents on Saturday, which caused an hour's delay in the Indian Premier League (IPL) match between Mumbai Indians and Royal Challengers of Bangalore.

Roughly 20,000 people were packed into the stadium and hundreds more were streaming in when a loud explosion at Gate Number 12 rattled nearby buildings.

The first explosion occurred at 3:15 p.m., and the second, 20 minutes later.The explosives were found in bushes.

Preliminary forensic investigation revealed that the explosive was an ammonium nitro glycerine gelatin stick. It was detonated with the help of a microchip timer.

The matches were earlier scheduled to be played in Bangalore on April 21 and 22 respectively. (ANI)

Story first published: Monday, April 19, 2010, 15:21 [IST]
Other articles published on Apr 19, 2010
Please Wait while comments are loading...