Notifications
Settings
Clear Notifications
Notifications
Use the toggle to switch on notifications
  • Block for 8 hours
  • Block for 12 hours
  • Block for 24 hours
  • Don't block

Iran Eyes World Cup 2026 Participation As Visa Applications Begin In Turkey

Iran’s national football team left for Turkiye today. They will play a final friendly match and apply for visas for the 2026 World Cup in the United States. The tournament will go ahead despite recent US attacks on Iran and ongoing regional tension.

Tasnim news agency said the squad flew to Antalya, Turkey. The group includes 22 domestic-based players and the full coaching staff. Head coach Amir Ghalenoei said on Saturday they will submit US visa applications in Turkey before travelling onward for the World Cup.

Iran World Cup 2026 Visa Push

World Cup plans continue amid war and ceasefire

The United States and Israel launched large attacks on Iran on February 28. Iranian media described this as a war. A ceasefire has paused fighting for weeks. Peace talks have not made progress, and new drone attacks on Gulf states at the weekend raised fresh concern.

US President Donald Trump has issued new threats during this period. Iran still plans to play in the tournament, even though Washington is a co-host. US officials say Iran is welcome, and FIFA insists the World Cup will proceed as planned across all host nations.

US and FIFA positions on Iran participation

Iran booked their World Cup place in March 2025. Since then, the United States has carried out two rounds of attacks on Iran. Iran asked FIFA to move its matches to co-hosts Mexico or Canada. FIFA turned down that request and kept the schedule.

Trump was asked about Iran’s involvement in late April. He replied, “I think let 'em play.” U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said players were not the issue. He suggested concern over “some of the other people (they) would want to bring with them.”

Visa worries and Guards links

Rubio hinted those people might have ties to the Revolutionary Guards. Washington lists the Guards as a terrorist organisation. Canada has also given the group that label. This has fed concern over support staff or officials who may try to enter World Cup venues.

Last month, a delegation from Iran’s football federation cancelled a trip to the FIFA congress in Canada. They said Canadian immigration officers had “insulted” them. One official, Mehdi Taj, is a former member of the Revolutionary Guards. The group’s status strained that visit.

Friendlies in Antalya and World Cup schedule

The Iranian team hope to play two friendlies in Antalya, Turkey. They have confirmed one fixture, against The Gambia. These matches are planned as the last tests before the squad fly to the United States. Their World Cup base camp will be in Tucson, Arizona.

Iran are placed in Group G for the 2026 World Cup. They open against New Zealand in Los Angeles on June 15. They will then meet Belgium, also in Los Angeles. Their final group match will be against Egypt in Seattle.

Iran World Cup Group G fixtures

Match Opponent City Date
Group G opener New Zealand Los Angeles 15 June 2026
Group G match Belgium Los Angeles 2026 (date not stated)
Group G match Egypt Seattle 2026 (date not stated)
Story first published: Monday, May 18, 2026, 19:27 [IST]
Other articles published on May 18, 2026
Gender
Select your Gender
  • Male
  • Female
  • Others
Age
Select your Age Range
  • Under 18
  • 18 to 25
  • 26 to 35
  • 36 to 45
  • 45 to 55
  • 55+