Get breaking news alerts from myKhel

Wagner retiring after World Cup snub

Posted By:
Sandro Wagner

Berlin, May 17: Germany forward Sandro Wagner announced he was retiring from international football after being overlooked for the World Cup.

Wagner was left out of Joachim Loew's provisional 27-man squad for the tournament in Russia.

The 30-year-old has scored five goals in eight internationals, while he netted eight times in 14 Bundesliga appearances for Bayern this season.

Wagner, who was part of Germany's Confederations Cup-winning squad last year, said he was quitting internationals.

"I hereby resign immediately from the national team," he told Bild.

"For me, it is clear that I don't seem to fit with the coaching team with my way – always open, honest and direct to address things."

Mario Gomez, Thomas Muller, Marco Reus, Leroy Sane, Timo Werner and the uncapped Nils Petersen were the attackers named in Low's squad.

While disappointed, Wagner hopes Germany – drawn with Mexico, Sweden and South Korea in Group F – can defend their World Cup crown.

"I wish my boys only the best in Russia and hope they come back as world champions," he said.

For Quick Alerts
ALLOW NOTIFICATIONS
For Daily Alerts

    Story first published: Thursday, May 17, 2018, 6:00 [IST]
    Other articles published on May 17, 2018
    POLLS
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. This includes cookies from third party social media websites and ad networks. Such third party cookies may track your use on Mykhel sites for better rendering. Our partners use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Mykhel website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time. Learn more