CA's offer was tempting, but family is imporatnt for me: Wright
Wellington, Jun 6 (UNI) Admitting that Cricket Australia's (CA) offer to coach their Centre of Excellence was tempting, former India coach John Wright today said he turned down the offer as his family was important to him.
Wright today confirmed that initially he was tempted, but withdrew from the race to succeed the newly-promoted Australian coach Tim Nielsen as it is a full-time Brisbane-based job which would also include coaching the Australia A side.
''It's an enormously impressive facility. I've always been a great admirer of Australian cricket and the way they do things.
They're a great example for anyone else that plays the game,'' Wright told NZPA, adding, ''But It didn't quite work out.'' ''I haven't been back in New Zealand long, and I was away for four and half years. I've got teenage kids (aged 15 and 13). It's just not the right time,'' he added.
Wright's decision was later confirmed today by CA's public affairs manager Philip Pope. However, he added that the former Kiwi batsman had been given a formal invitation along with Aussie pacer Bruce Reid and the man him, Greg Chappell for a week-long guest coaching stint in Brisbane later this year.
In a new development, the 52-year-old Kiwi who took Team India to the heights of success during his four-year stint starting from 2000, however, did not turn the possibility of taking up the reigns of his national side as present coach John Bracewell's contract is currently up for review.
''Who knows? I wouldn't rule anything out,'' Wright said.
UNI


Click it and Unblock the Notifications