Get breaking news alerts from myKhel

St-Pierre vs. McGregor will definitely happen: Sonnen

GSP (left) and Conor McGregor (Image Courtesy: Screenshot)

Bengaluru, March 12: Georges St-Pierre will definitely return to the octagon and the former two-division UFC champion will face Conor McGregor, according to Chael Sonnen.

Bellator MMA's Sonnen was also right when he called the McGreogor and Floyd Mayweather boxing match last year and this time he revealed about the return of GSP and his potential opponent.

"It will be against Conor in what will be the biggest fight in MMA history," Sonnen said during his "Beyond The Fight" podcast.

A blockbuster fight between McGregor and St-Pierre has been mentioned before, but hasn't come to frutition, especially if you see the current situations for both fighters.

McGregor, who hasn't fought in the UFC since winning the lightweight title in November 2016 but he was involved in a boxing match with Mayweather, which took place last August. McGregor lost the bout by a tenth-round TKO, but was a winner with big money where he earned in excess of $100 million for his work.

After that big money fight, he hasn't revealed a date for a UFC return and is close to being stripped of his title belt once Interim champ Tony Ferguson and Khabib Nurmagomedov fight next month at UFC 223.

Speaking of GSP's recent chat with the MMA Hour's Ariel Helwani, Sonnen opines that a legacy fight is St-Pierre's primary goal.

"Conor doesn't have the belt, and George wants to come back, and George only wants to come back for Conor," Sonnen said.

"And they both want to do this legacy and all this other ... a check, guys. That's what you're getting in this. Forget about how we think about you in the future, let's talk about tonight. That's the fight."

"Making a statement like, 'Hey, that does nothing for me,' that is condescending, it's rude, it's mean-spirited, and it's extremely appropriate if you're Georges St-Pierre," Sonnen continued. "That doesn't mean he doesn't want that fight."

One obstacle in this potential bout is the weight. St-Pierre, recently fought for the 185-pound title after years of ruling the welterweight division. While, McGregor, a former featherweight champion and lightweight champion, hasn't fought beyond 170 pounds.

Sonnen, however, sees a creation of new division as a clear solution to counter any concerns over weight.

"I know that George would do it. He's made that clear. And I also know contrary to what some fans will say about, 'Well, what wait class? You can only ask Conor to go up so much.' George will go down," Sonnen said.

"Now that it has come out that Conor talked to Dana and wanted to do a 165-pound fight, George will go down to 165. I'll speak for him. I'll tell you he for sure will. I'm not speaking for him; he shared that with me. But I will pass it on to you. He will go to 165 if it means Conor."

For Quick Alerts
ALLOW NOTIFICATIONS
For Daily Alerts

    Story first published: Monday, March 12, 2018, 10:19 [IST]
    Other articles published on Mar 12, 2018
    POLLS
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. This includes cookies from third party social media websites and ad networks. Such third party cookies may track your use on Mykhel sites for better rendering. Our partners use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Mykhel website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time. Learn more