Jorge on shortlist to return as Cameroon coach-source
YAOUNDE, Aug 8 (Reuters) Artur Jorge, who quit as Cameroon coach after the team's quarter-final exit at the 2006 African Nations Cup, has been shortlisted to return to the job for next year's tournament, a soccer federation source said today.
Jorge, from Portugal, was one of five coaches shortlisted yesterday by a commission set up by the central African country's sports ministry and soccer federation FECAFOOT, an aide to FECAFOOT president Mohamed Iya told Reuters.
The list also includes Frenchmen Philippe Troussier and Jean-Pierre Papin and Germany's Otto Pfister, who led West African minnows Togo to their first World Cup last year.
The shortlist will be passed to Sports Minister Augustin Edzoa for a final decision.
''It was not an easy job for the commission because they had to go through 76 applications from 21 countries across the globe,'' said the aide, who did not wish to be identified.
The Indomitable Lions, keen to revisit the glory days of Roger Milla who led the side to the World Cup quarter finals in 1990, have already qualified for the 2008 African Nations Cup in Ghana under caretaker coach Jules Nyongha.
FECAFOOT resisted pressure from the public and national team players including Barcelona striker Samuel Eto'o, who had joined calls for Nyongha to be made a permanent appointment.
They have been without a permanent coach since Dutchman Arie Haan quit in February after six months and just two matches.
REUTERS BJR RAI2048


Click it and Unblock the Notifications