Home » More Sports » Mumbai FC holds Churchill Brothers to 2-2 draw in I League

Mumbai FC holds Churchill Brothers to 2-2 draw in I League

Margao, Nov 15 (UNI) A 74th minute goal by Kuluthugan guided formidable Mumbai FC to hold Churchill Brothers to a 2-2 draw and split points in the ONGC I League Football Championship match at the Nehru stadium Fatorda today.

Abhisek Yadav in the 10th minute and Kuluthungan in the 74th minutes scored for the Mumbai taem while Odafe Okolie in the 20th minute and Reisangmi Vashum in the 70th minute scored for Churchill Brothers.

With this drawn match, Churchill Brothers increased their points tally to 13 points and Mumbai club took their tally to 12 points from as many matches.

Though two goals came in the first half, the match did not rise upto expectations as it was restricted to midfield for the major part.

Churchill came with a good move as early as in the second minute. Odafe Okolie's full blooded direct-freekick from the top of the box missed the mark by inches.

Mumbai shot into the lead as early as in the 10th minute through Abhisek Yadav off a welll measured cross from Abel Hammod.

Stung by the early debacle, Churchill increased the pace of their game and attacked vigorously. The lead did not live long as Odafe Okolie restored the parity in the 20th minute to level the scores.

The goal was the result of a fine move, when Vasum passed to Felix Chimao who in quick succession passed to the better placed Odafe who deceived the rival goalkeeper Kalyan Choubey and sent the ball into the net.

Inspired by the equaliser, Churchill continued to attack in the second half and looks the lead in the 70th minute through Vasum, who after collecting a pass from Felix scored from the zero angle giving no chance to the rival goalkeeper to make it 2-1.

In the counter attack, Mumbai equalised in the 74th minute through Kuluthungan to make it 2-2. Following a flag kick taken by Noel Wilson, Churchill goalkeepr Arindan Bhattacharya moved forward to collect the ball, which he could not grab properly. The ball slipped from his hands and went towards Kuluthungan, pounced upon the opportunity and unleashed a powerpacked volley which found the net to make it 2-2.

Towards the close of the play Churchill made some desperate attempts but Mumbai defender Annaes Edabhodika and Selwyn Fernandes thwarted all the moves from Churchill forwards.

Mumbai defender Annaes was adjudged the man of the match for his fine performance.


Story first published: Saturday, November 15, 2008, 20:03 [IST]
Other articles published on Nov 15, 2008
Please Wait while comments are loading...