Pakistan revise South Africa tour itinerary
KARACHI, Aug 8 (Reuters) The Pakistan Cricket Board has dropped Peshawar and Rawalpindi from the itinerary for the tour by South Africa which starts next month.
The visitors will now play the one-day internationals originally scheduled at Peshawar and Rawalpindi in Karachi and Lahore.
Director of cricket operations Zakir Khan said the changes were made for logistical reasons, not security concerns.
''The stadium in Peshawar was not up to international standards while there is renovation work due to start at Rawalpindi,'' said Zakir.
But board sources said South Africa had raised concerns over playing in Peshawar and Rawalpindi, cities which have seen several explosions and suicide bomb attacks on security forces in recent weeks.
More than 200 people, mostly policemen and soldiers, have been killed in bomb and suicide attacks across Pakistan since the government stormed the Red Mosque in Islamabad last month to flush out suspected Islamic militants.
In 2003, South Africa refused to play in Karachi and Peshawar for security reasons.
Revised test/ODI itinerary: Oct 1-5: 1st Test in Karachi Oct 8-12: 2nd Test in Lahore Oct 18: 1st ODI in Lahore Oct 20: 2nd ODI in Lahore Oct 23: 3rd ODI in Faisalabad Oct 26: 4th ODI in Multan Oct 29: 5th ODI in Karachi REUTERS BJR KN1815


Click it and Unblock the Notifications