Sydney June 20, (ANI): Former Australian cricketer Merv Hughes is in a fix whether to opt for Cricket Australia's new full-time position of national selector or not.
Marv's main worry is the announcement of the Australian Cricket Association that says that one of the four spots on the panel would be transformed into a full-time job, which means he would have to give up his other occupation as a leader of overseas tour groups.
"I really enjoy what I do and I see it as a privilege working with this team, as I have done for the past four and a half years," The Sunday Age quoted him as saying.
"To hear about the advent of a full-time selector and not to be told is disappointing about what it would entail. I can roll the dice by applying for that job or roll the dice by not applying for it. That is something I have got to weigh up," he added.
Meanwhile, the Chairman of the National Selection Panel (NSP) Andrew Hilditch is contracted until the end of next year's World Cup while Hughes, Jamie Cox and David Boon are free to apply provided they surrender their other roles to take on the new full-time position.
"In the past I have copped a lot of criticism for combining the two , but during the Ashes last year when I was selector on duty I didn't have a tour group here ... "Obviously it's not ideal as far as Cricket Australia is concerned.'' said Hughes.
The former Test fast bowler, who is the selector on duty with the limited-overs team in the UK, is reluctant to choose between the roles. However, he is keen to apply for the new position if he gets more information on the matter. (ANI)