Home » More Sports » Sporting defeats Mohan Bagan 2-0, maintains unbeaten streak

Sporting defeats Mohan Bagan 2-0, maintains unbeaten streak

Margao, Oct 11 (UNI) A determined Sporting club de Goa put up a dazzling display to defeat Kolkata giant Mohan Bagan 2-0 and maintained their unbeaten record intact in the third round match of the ONGC I-League championship being played here at Nehru stadium Fatorda today.

The goals for Sporting came through Wilton Gomes in the 26th minute and through substitute Nathaniel Amos in the 58th minute.

Sporting would have romped home with a much a bigger margin had they utilised the chances before them, especially in the first half.

With this win, Sporting maintained its position at the top of the table with nine points from three wins in raw. While Mohan Bagan remained on same one points from a draw and two defeats.

Sporting, who had bettered their performance in every outing began on a rousing note with a major share of exchanges pariculrly in the first half and came with a first good move in the very second minute from the start when Wilton Gomes who gave a floated free kick psss to Lusiano Sobrosa whose header missed the net narrowly.

Later in the 10th minute Joychandra Singh missed a sitter infornt of the goal. His hasty shot went wide.

Sporting had another chance to score in the 20th minute of the first half.

In the counter attack, Mohan Bagan came near scoring in the 21 st minute when Jose Ramiraz Barreto from the right flank sent a cross pass to a better placed Isfaq Ahamed but his weak shot landed straight into the hands of rival goalkeepr Felix D'Souza.

Sporting surged ahead in the 26th minute through Wilton Gomes.

The goal was a result of fine combine move when Harmonjot Khabra passed to Joseph Pereira who in quick sucession floated a ball to Wilton Gomes, whose header Mohan Bagan defender N Mohan Raj instead of clearing it touched his leg and went into his own goal and at half time Sporting were leading by 1-0.

Inspired by a lead at the first half, Sporting continued to attack and increased their lead in the 58th minute through substitute new recruit Nigerian striker Nathaniel Amos, who came in place of Joychandra. Amos neatly headed in a well measured cross pass given by Joseph Pereira to make the score 2-0.

Stung by two goals, Mohan Bagan made some desperate attempts for an equaliser and came near scoring on couple of occasion but failed to score a single goal. In the 65th minute Jose Barreto initiated a move and passed to James Singh whose powerpacked shot was smartly saved by diving Rival goalkeer Felix D'Souza. Again in the 70th minute Rahul Kumar from the left flank pass to Lalmaswama whose header went wide.

Sporting's medio Wilton Gomes was today adjudged the man of the match for his fine performance.


Story first published: Saturday, October 11, 2008, 20:04 [IST]
Other articles published on Oct 11, 2008
Please Wait while comments are loading...