Home » More Sports » Sporting halts Mumbai's unbeaten run; pips hosts 1-0

Sporting halts Mumbai's unbeaten run; pips hosts 1-0

Margao, Oct 24 (UNI) Sporting Club De Goa hung on to the first half goal by man of the match Nigerian Junior Eligah to get better of spirited Mumbai Football Club 1-0 and halted their unbaten race in the ONGC I-league championship match played here at Nehru stadium Fatorda today.

The all important goal for winners came in the 18th minute of the first half, which ultimately turned out to be the match winner.

With this win, Sporting maintained their position at the top of the table with 12 points from five outings with four wins and a loss. While Mumbai, with their first defeat today, remained on nine points from three wins out of four matches.

Sporting attacked vigorously and came up with a first good move as early as in the 15th minute of the first half initiated by Junior Eligah and pass to Nathniol Amos whose powerpacked shot was well blocked by rival goalkeeper Kalayan Chowbey and rebounded towards Joseph Pereira whose attempted try failed to find the target.

Three minutes later Sporting drew the first blood through Nigerian Junior Eligah whose shot found the net off a pass received from Harmanjot Khabra to make it 1-0.

The home team had another chance in the 33rd minute to increse the lead but this time Amos missed a sitter infront of the goal.

Amos after collecting a pass from Rohan Pereira had only the goalkeeper to beat but his hasty shot missed the mark.

Not a single noticeable move was witnessed from Mumbai boys in the first half even their ace strikers Ghanian Abel Hammod and Felix Aboagye from whom much was expected were off colour today as they were tightly marked by sporting defenders.

After the cross over, Mumbai played with renewed vigour and attacked vigarously at the rival citadel and came up with three spendid oportunites but Sporting goalkeeper Felix D souza who gave a super display beneth the bar stood between the goal and proved equal to the occcasion.

In the 47th minute, Mumbai's Abel's powerpacked shot was well saved by goalkeeper D souza. Then in the 57th minute Subash Chakraborthy passed to Abhisek Yadav whose header hit the goal post and wasted.

Then in the 78th minute Sporting goalkeeper D'Souza smartly saved a shot by Subash Chkaraborthy diving to his right.

Mumbai were further frustrated in the 88th minute when Abel's long range attempted shot sailed over the bar.

Mumbai made some desperate attepted to equalise in the last 15 minutes of the play but could not convert their chances into the goals.


Story first published: Friday, October 24, 2008, 20:43 [IST]
Other articles published on Oct 24, 2008
Please Wait while comments are loading...