Las Vegas, December 2: Nicco Montano claims the UFC's inaugural women's flyweight championship and "The Ultimate Fighter 26" title with an impressive win over a tough Roxanne Modafferi at Park Theatre in Las Vegas on Friday (December 1).
Suprise finalist Montano fought a brave Modafferi, who stepped in for Sijara Eubanks on a day's notice for the TUF 26 Finale main event, only to be out scored by Montano in a fight dominated on the floor.
History has been made.— UFC India (@UFCIndia) December 2, 2017
Nicco Montaño defeats Roxanne Modafferi to become the first ever Women's UFC Flyweight Champion pic.twitter.com/vvAPbFUadD
In the co-main event of the night, unbeaten bantamweight Sean O'Malley impressed in his official UFC debut, digging deep for a decision win over a tough Terrion Ware.
To open the main card, Welsh bantamweight Brett Johns kept his perfect record intact, using just 30 seconds to tap out Joe Soto and win via submission.
Next up, Hungarian striker Melinda Fabian nearly scored a highlight-reel finish of veteran DeAnna Bennett but ultimately settled for a disappointing majority draw.
Later, Eric Spicely's grappling nearly saw him through to a first-round victory, but Gerald Meerschaert's striking rebounded perfectly to earn him a second-round finish in a night that saw six stoppages of the eleven bouts.
Stepping in on the shortest of notices, Lauren Murphy took advantage of the spotlight and scored a hard-fought split-decision win over former Invicta FC champ Barb Honchak
A battle of fellow Team Gaethje contestants kicked off the TUF 26 Finale as 22-year-old Gillian Robertson looked composed and confident en route to a first-round submission victory against Emily Whitmire.
Followed that was a battle of two willing Team Alvarez strikers in which Shana Dobson scored the decisive blows over Ariel Beck to earn a second round stoppage via TKOs.
In a catchweight bout that followed, Karine Gevorgyan looked dangerous on the feet early, but Rachael Ostovich got the better of her on the floor shortly after to score a first-round submission win.
Next up an early "Fight of the Night" contender, Ryan Janes survived a vicious first-round assault from Andrew Sanchez only to fight back and score his own third-round TKO.
Ryan Janes, the biggest underdog on the card gets the huge comeback win over Andrew Sanchez! 😲 https://t.co/bahcmqyqGD— FOX Sports: UFC (@UFCONFOX) December 2, 2017
To conclude with the prelims, Christina Marks did her best to stay off the canvas, but Montana De La Rosa broke her guard to get herself to a fight-ending submission win in the first round of a flyweight bout.
Check out the final results of TUF 26 Finale below.
1. Women's Flyweight bout: Nicco Montano defeated Roxanne Modafferi by unanimous decision (50-45, 49-46, 49-46)
2. Bantamweight bout: Sean O'Malley defeated Terrion Ware by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
3. Women's Flyweight bout: Lauren Murphy defeated Barb Honchack by split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
4. Middleweight bout: Gerald Meerschaert defeated Eric Spicely by TKO (strikes) - Round 2, 2:18
5. Women's Flyweight bout: DeAnna Bennett and Melinda Fabian - declared a majority draw (29-27, 28-28, 28-28)
6. Bantamweight bout: Brett Johns defeated Joe Soto by submission (calf slicer) - Round 1, 0:30
1. Women's Flyweight bout: Montana Stewart defeated Christina Marks via submission (armbar) - Round 1, 2:00
2. Middleweight bout: Ryan Janes defeated Andrew Sanchez by TKO (strikes) - Round 3, 0:58
3. Women's Catchweight bout: Rachael Ostovich defeated Karine Gevorgyan by submission (armbar) - Round 1, 1:40
4. Women's Flyweight bout: Shana Dobson defeated Ariel Beck by TKO (punches) - Round 2, 2:53
5. Women's Flyweight bout: Gillian Robertson defeated Emily Whitmire by submission (armbar) - Round 1, 2:12