Get breaking news alerts from myKhel

Force India to come out of administration after Stroll takeover

Force India are set to come out of administration, after a takeover by a consortium of investors led by Canadian billionaire Lawrence Stroll

London, August 8: The Force India Formula One team are set to come out of administration after a rescue deal involving a consortium of investors led by Canadian billionaire Lawrence Stroll.

Stroll is the father of Williams F1 driver Lance.

The consortium said creditors would be paid in full and all 405 jobs at the Silverstone-based team, that was co-owned by embattled Indian businessman Vijay Mallya and finished fourth last year, were safe.

Apart from Stroll, the investors were named as Canadian entrepreneur Andre Desmarais, Jonathan Dudman, John Idol, telecoms investor John McCaw Jr, Michael de Picciotto and Stroll's business partner Silas Chou.

"This outcome secures the future of the Force India team in Formula One and will allow our team of racers to compete to our full potential," said the team's chief operating officer Otmar Szafnauer.

"I am delighted that we have the support of a consortium of investors who believe in us as a team and who see the considerable business potential that Force India has within F1 now and in the future."

Force India's driver line-up comprises Mexican Sergio Perez and Mercedes-backed Frenchman Esteban Ocon but Stroll, 19, now looks likely to move from Williams next season given his father's involvement.

Joint administrator Geoff Rowley said funding to support the team would be made available immediately with "significantly more" once the company emerged from administration.

He expected that to be within two to three weeks, with the team set to compete at the next race at Spa-Francorchamps in Belgium on August 26.

"It is rare that a company can be rescued and returned to a position of solvency," Rowley said in the statement.

"The quality of the various interested parties has been impressive and required careful consideration as the administration has progressed.

"Having followed a robust process, in the end we were left with a highly-credible offer to save the company and restore solvency."

The team, which is based in Silverstone, went into administration at the end of last month, with Perez triggering the process.

The Mexican had said he was owed more than $4 million as part of sponsorship deals brought to the team, while engine provider Mercedes was due some 13 million euros ($15.15 million). Leading sponsor BWT was also involved.

Force India's problems have been well-documented, with Mallya fighting an attempt by India to extradite him from Britain to face charges of fraud, which he denies.

A group of Indian banks are seeking to recover more than $1 billion of loans granted to his defunct Kingfisher Airlines.

Force India are sixth in this year's constructors' standings with 59 points, while Williams are down in 10th with just four points.

(With inputs from Agencies)

For Quick Alerts
Subscribe Now
For Quick Alerts
ALLOW NOTIFICATIONS
For Daily Alerts

    Story first published: Wednesday, August 8, 2018, 11:54 [IST]
    Other articles published on Aug 8, 2018
    India's LARGEST EVER political poll. Have you participated yet?
    POLLS
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. This includes cookies from third party social media websites and ad networks. Such third party cookies may track your use on Mykhel sites for better rendering. Our partners use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Mykhel website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time. Learn more