Aryna Sabalenka Sends Strong Message to French Open Organisers Amid Revenue Row
World No. 1 Aryna Sabalenka led a coordinated player protest ahead of the 2026 French Open, cutting short her mandatory media commitments as top stars demanded a greater share of Grand Slam revenues.
Several leading players, including men's World No. 1 Jannik Sinner and defending champion Iga Swiatek, limited their pre-tournament media appearances to 15 minutes on Friday in a symbolic protest against what they believe is an inadequate distribution of tournament revenue.

The move marks the latest escalation in a growing dispute between players and the four Grand Slam tournaments, with discussions over prize money, player welfare and representation continuing to stall.
Why did Aryna Sabalenka and other players cut their media appearances?
The 15-minute limit was deliberately chosen to highlight the fact that the French Open currently allocates approximately 15% of its revenue to prize money.
Players are pushing for that figure to rise to 22% by 2030, arguing that athletes deserve a larger share of the financial success generated by Grand Slam events.
Sabalenka, who has emerged as one of the most vocal figures in the negotiations, completed her mandatory obligations before ending her English-language press conference after roughly 10 minutes, having already spoken to the tournament broadcaster.
"I'm here to talk to you because I have respect for you guys," Sabalenka told reporters.
"We just wanted to make our point and we are united - 15 minutes is better than zero.
"As I said a thousand times today, I have huge respect, but we know what's happening here, so thank you so much."
The Belarusian has previously warned that players could eventually boycott Grand Slam tournaments if meaningful progress is not made.
Coco Gauff, Jannik Sinner back player movement
The coordinated action received support from several of tennis' biggest names.
Reigning French Open champion Coco Gauff praised the unity shown by players across both tours.
"I'm proud that we were all able to get on the same page," Gauff said.
Sinner expressed frustration over what players perceive as a lack of respect in negotiations, while American Taylor Fritz said competitors felt they had been ignored despite months of discussions.
The protest highlights a rare display of collective action in an individual sport, where players have historically struggled to present a united front on governance and financial issues.
Novak Djokovic supports players despite not joining protest
Although Novak Djokovic did not participate in the coordinated action, the 24-time Grand Slam champion reiterated his long-standing support for player rights.
"I haven't been part of the process, the conversation, the planning or decision-making so I can't comment on that," Djokovic said.
"But what I can do is reiterate my own position that I have always been on the players' side and tried to advocate for players' rights and better future for players.
"We tend to forget how little the number of people that live from this sport is. I will never stop mentioning or talking about that."
Djokovic has frequently argued that lower-ranked players receive insufficient financial support despite helping sustain professional tennis.
What are the players demanding from the Grand Slams?
The dispute extends beyond prize money and includes several broader issues affecting players across the sport.
Higher prize money
Players want Grand Slam tournaments to increase the percentage of revenue distributed as prize money, with a greater share reaching lower-ranked competitors.
Better player welfare
The group is seeking stronger financial commitments towards pension schemes, healthcare coverage and maternity support.
Greater representation
Players also want increased consultation on major decisions, including tournament scheduling, late-night finishes and the continued expansion of two-week Grand Slam formats.
Could players boycott Grand Slam tournaments?
While Sabalenka recently suggested a boycott could eventually happen, most players stopped short of making direct threats during Friday's media sessions.
Fritz acknowledged the possibility remains on the table if negotiations continue to stall.
"I don't know if I want to start throwing around the 'b-word'," Fritz said.
"I don't think we should really make big threats like that unless we're fully ready to do it.
"But if it gets to a point where something does have to change if we are ignored, that's a conversation to have."
French Open responds to player protest
French Open tournament director Amélie Mauresmo described the protest as disappointing but expressed confidence that a resolution can still be reached.
Mauresmo and French Tennis Federation president Gilles Moretton are scheduled to meet former WTA chairman Larry Scott, who is representing the players during negotiations.
The discussions come at a critical moment for the sport as tensions between athletes and tournament organisers continue to rise ahead of the year's second Grand Slam.
Why players will not be fined
Grand Slam regulations require players to participate in official media activities before and during tournaments.
However, the protesting players fulfilled their mandatory obligations by appearing for media duties and answering questions before leaving after 15 minutes.
As a result, no disciplinary action or fines are expected.
With some of the sport's biggest stars now publicly united behind the movement, the French Open protest represents the strongest statement yet from players demanding a greater voice and a larger financial stake in tennis' most lucrative events.


Click it and Unblock the Notifications