Nadal feels better prepared for second final with Federer
LONDON, July 7 (Reuters) Rafael Nadal told Roger Federer, his opponent in tomorrow's Wimbledon men's final, that he felt this year an exception might have been made to the tournament's traditions because of the rain disruptions.
''I totally support and understand the traditions of the tournament,'' Nadal told reporters today after winning his semi-final over Novak Djokovic when the Serb retired with a toe injury with the second-seeded Spaniard leading 3-6 6-1 4-1.
''Maybe Roger was at home resting while the other players were waiting (to play) in the locker room,'' he added of Federer's opinion that Wimbledon had done well not to break with tradition and play on the middle Sunday.
''Maybe this year they could have made an exception but I'm not criticising,'' said the 21-year-old, runner up to Federer in last year's final.
Nadal's early finish against Djokovic, who was on court for almost five hours in his quarter-final victory over Marcos Baghdatis yesterday, will help to redress the balance with Federer in terms of rest after their different paths to the final.
While Nadal's third-round match against Robin Soderling, which failed even to start last Saturday, was spread over three days from Monday, Federer had six days to rest and practise before beating Juan Carlos Ferrero in the last eight yesterday.
French Open champion Nadal believes he is a better player than last year but his improved game on grass does not mean he has the weapons to beat Federer this time.
''I'm a better tennis player this year, of that I have no doubts...I have improved little things but not necessarily so as to beat Federer,'' he said, describing the Swiss as the complete player.
''I have another year's experience, last year everything happened to me very quickly.
''Perhaps I lacked a bit of conviction but not this time,'' he said of his chances of winning the title.
REUTERS SBC PM2149


Click it and Unblock the Notifications