Get Instant News Updates
Enable
x
Notification Settings X
Time Settings
Done
Clear Notification X
Do you want to clear all the notifications from your inbox?
Settings X
For Quick Alerts
ALLOW NOTIFICATIONS  
For Daily Alerts

Australia's Shane Watson to retire after World T20

Mohali, March 24: Australian all-rounder Shane Watson today announced that he will retire from international cricket after the ongoing ICC World Twenty20 tournament. However, he will continue to play in domestic Twenty20s including the Indian Premier League (IPL).

World T20 Special Site; Photos; Points Table

"It's been over the last week that it's really become clear that now really is the right time to retire from all international cricket," Watson was quoted as saying by Cricket Australia's (CA) website on Thursday (March 24) on the eve of their crucial World T20 match against Pakistan. (Watson to play for RCB)

A file picture of Shane Watson

"I've been playing with the thought for a few months now and I know now with the way the group is continuing to evolve, which is exciting to be able to see, with my young family as well, and seeing the potential of the international schedule is very hectic.

"And I just know it's the right time to be able to right now clear my mind knowing that I've made the decision and be absolutely ready to go for these next two very important games," he added.

Watson, who made his international debut in 2002, has so far played 59 Tests, 190 ODIs and 56 T20Is. He had quit Test cricket in September 2015.

Cricket Australia's chief executive James Sutherland has congratulated Watson for his contribution to the game during his playing career.

"Shane should be proud of his contribution to Australian cricket. At his best, he was a devastating batsman and skilful swing and seam bowler who thrilled crowds the world over. And to his enormous credit he is the only Australian batsman to have scored centuries in all three forms of the game," Sutherland said.

"As a senior member of the team he always showed his leadership capabilities by guiding and encouraging younger players. He is also one of a very select group to lead our country in Test cricket.

"To be bracketed with Steve Waugh as Australia's most prolific batting all-rounder in Test and one-day cricket is a very significant statement about his international career," he added.

Shane Watson career highlights include

# Australia's 44th Test captain

# 2 Allan Border Medals

# Three World Cups, including tournament victories in 2007 and 2015

# Played in all 6 World T20s (2007 to 2016), including player of the tournament in 2012

# 17 one-day man of the match awards including 4 man of the series awards.

OneIndia News

Story first published: Thursday, August 3, 2017, 7:30 [IST]
Other articles published on Aug 3, 2017