Bengaluru, March 7: The BCCI on Wednesday (March 7) withheld Indian pacer Mohammad Shami's central contract after his wife accused him of domestic violence and adultery, charges that were denied by the cricketer.
Shami's name was not there in the list of 26 contracted players released by the BCCI on Wednesday despite his starring role in India's only Test win in the recent tour of South Africa. Shami had claimed a career-best 5/28 in the second innings of the Johannesburg Test.
A top BCCI official said the Board has held back his name owing to the charges levelled by his wife Hasin Jahan.
"The BCCI has taken cognisance of all the reports emerging about Mohammad Shami's personal life. It is purely a personal matter and the BCCI has nothing to do with it. However, keeping in mind that the woman in question has met the police commissioner of Kolkata, it is only prudent on BCCI's part to wait for any official inquiry to take place," the official said.
"Hence Mohammad Shami's name, for the time being, has been withheld from the central contracts that were announced. We would like to reiterate this decision has nothing to do with Shami's merit as a player but a safe approach in the prevailing circumstances," he added.
It is learnt that the BCCI is wary of its image taking a beating if the allegations against Shami turn out to be true.
Jahan has accused Shami of domestic violence and adultery in social media posts but the bowler has rebutted the claims, calling them "lies". Jahan has, however, still not sought a divorce from the 27-year-old pacer.
Shami has played 30 Tests for India, claiming 110 wickets so far. The bowler has also appeared in 50 ODIs and seven Twenty20 Internationals, picking up 91 and eight wickets respectively.