Get Instant News Updates
Enable
x
Notification Settings X
Time Settings
Done
Clear Notification X
Do you want to clear all the notifications from your inbox?
Settings X

Coronavirus: IOA secretary Rajeev Mehta opposes Sports Ministry-approved SOP for athletes

Coronavirus: IOA secretary Rajeev Mehta opposes Sports Ministry-approved SOP for athletes

New Delhi, May 22: Indian Olympic Association (IAO) secretary-general Rajeev Mehta on Friday (May 22) warned against rushing athletes into training amid the rising COVID-19 cases, saying a wrong move at this point can have a bearing on their Olympics preparation.

Mehta expressed his vehement opposition after the Sports Authority of India (SAI) Thursday (May 21) released the Sports Ministry-approved SOP for athletes to follow while training amid the pandemic, which has claimed more than 3,500 lives in the country so far.

"God forbid by any chance if an athlete tests positive who will be responsible for that? The unfortunate athlete will suffer and it may affect his or her Olympic preparation," Mehta told PTI. He said the athletes should not be forced the resume training. The office-bearer added,

"It is my personal view that the athletes should not be rushed to outdoor training now. Cases are increasing and likely to continue increasing in June also. It has not peaked yet. "Athletes are just like our children and so it is my advice to them. My views are not against anybody. But it is up to the athletes to start training or not."

The SAI's SOP came after the home ministry allowed the opening of sports complexes and stadia in its guidelines for the fourth phase of the lockdown, which has been extended till May 31. But there has been no clarity on when the training will resume.

The issue of resumption has again brought to the fore the growing fissure within the country's top sports body, with IOA president Narinder Batra deciding to take over much of the secretary general's responsibilities in what appeared to be an attempt to sideline his deputy.

In a mail to Mehta, Batra said, "I have decided to take over/divide much of your workload and will be doing the needful in days to come and since I am Delhi based and few other people who are regularly coming to Delhi will now have to share the divided responsibilities/burden.

"Your very important advice will always be sought. By doing the above you will be able to spend more quality time with your family in Nainital and also attend to your business which also is in Uttrakhand."

In his reply, Mehta wrote, "I also thank you for appreciating that I've been working tirelessly for the IOA for the last couple of years. I may add that promoting sports and serving sports has been my mission and I have dedicated my life to it.

"My family appreciates my commitment and is supportive of my endeavours and will like to see me doing more for sports by stationing myself in Delhi and discharging my responsibilities as Secretary-General of IOA."

Mehta added that Batra "should have contested as Secretary-General of IOA" if he is so willing to take over his responsibilities. "If you had such desires of doing day to day affairs, I would have stepped down from office in 2017 and you should have contested as Secretary-General of IOA."

(With PTI inputs)

For Quick Alerts
Subscribe Now
For Quick Alerts
ALLOW NOTIFICATIONS
For Daily Alerts

Love Cricket? Prove it! Play myKhel Fantasy Cricket here

Story first published: Friday, May 22, 2020, 22:06 [IST]
Other articles published on May 22, 2020
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. This includes cookies from third party social media websites and ad networks. Such third party cookies may track your use on Mykhel sites for better rendering. Our partners use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Mykhel website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time. Learn more