Get breaking news alerts from myKhel

Notification Settings X
Time Settings
Done
Clear Notification X
Do you want to clear all the notifications from your inbox?
Settings X

La Liga to go ahead with US plans despite Barca pull out

La Liga is going with US expansion drive despite Barcelonas pull out

Bengaluru, December 11: La Liga has decided to stick with its long-term strategy of taking games outside of Spain after immediate plans to play Barcelona's January match against Girona in Miami were derailed by the champions' decision to pull out of the fixture.

Following a board meeting on Monday, Barcelona withdrew from the game "after seeing the lack of consensus surrounding the proposal", ending a protracted saga since La Liga applied to move the game from Catalonia to Florida in August.

The league's organising body accepted that the game, set to take place on January 26, could not be played abroad but pledged to continue its legal battle with the Spanish football federation (RFEF), the most vocal opponent of the plan.

"We regret to disappoint our fans in the U.S. and will work to, in the shortest possible time, stage an official La Liga game in the U.S., just like the major American leagues stage games outside their borders," a La Liga statement said.

"La Liga will continue the planned action, so an official league game can be played outside of Spain. La Liga is convinced that the RFEF is not acting in accordance with the law.

"The league also said Barca's withdrawal did not affect its 15-year agreement with entertainment firm Relevent to promote Spanish football in North America.

Last month, La Liga filed a lawsuit in a Spanish court against the federation, which turned down its application to have the game moved and whose president Luis Rubiales has loudly protested the league's plans.

La Liga president Javier Tebas said that he understood Barca's decision, while adding the league would not relent on its future plans.

"I don't see Barca's decision as a betrayal. Of course I'd have liked to have played on January 26 but I have to congratulate the clubs for allowing us to get to this point as it will help us in the future," he said.

"This is not a victory for Rubiales, because all that has happened is this request has been withdrawn, but the demand to play a game outside of Spain is still there."

Girona, meanwhile, said it accepted Barca's withdrawal but continued to support the idea of playing games overseas.

(With Agency inputs).

For Quick Alerts
Subscribe Now
For Quick Alerts
ALLOW NOTIFICATIONS
For Daily Alerts

    Story first published: Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 18:05 [IST]
    Other articles published on Dec 11, 2018
    POLLS
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. This includes cookies from third party social media websites and ad networks. Such third party cookies may track your use on Mykhel sites for better rendering. Our partners use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Mykhel website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time. Learn more