Bengaluru, August 22: Former England opener Geoffrey Boycott has ignited a race row controversy after suggesting he he might have received 'knighthood' had he "blacked up" his face.|
The 76-year-old former captain and now a television commentator uttered the comment to VIP guests during the day-night Test between England and the West Indies at Edgbaston, Birmingham, the Mirror reported.
After terming the process of knighthood like "confetti" to the West Indies greats, Boycott told the Sky Sports presenter: "Mine's been turned down twice. I'd better black me face."
An eerie silence followed after Boycott's comment where diners, which included several black guests, had paid nearly GBP 300 for the hospitality package.
Boycott, who played 108 Tests, said he was being blocked from getting the knighthood for being a convict in France in 1996.
Eleven West Indian cricketers have been knighted so far including greats like Curtly Ambrose, Garfield Sobers and Viv Richards.
Boycott's comment did not go down well with the members and many branded him a 'dinosaur'.
"It was a crass comment. It was intended to get a laugh but it went down like a lead balloon. People were offended," said one of the diners.