Get breaking news alerts from myKhel

Notification Settings X
Time Settings
Clear Notification X
Do you want to clear all the notifications from your inbox?
Settings X

Indian Women's League: Eastern Sporting Union set up title clash with Rising Student Club

By Chitrangada
Slice of action from the Eastern Sporting Union and Sethu FC semifinal match of the Hero Indian Womens League in Shillong on Thursday. (Credit: AIFF)

Shillong, April 12: Eastern Sporting Union defeated Sethu FC 2-0 in extra time after the full-time scoreline read 0-0 in the semi-finals of the second edition of the Hero Indian Women's League at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in Shillong on Thursday (April 12). With the win ESU set up a final clash with Rising Student Club, to be held on April 14.

A drab and slow first half saw both teams testing each other out and chances came few for either. In a tactical battle in the midfield, neither team was able to cajole a clear goal scoring opportunity nor was able to test the maximum abilities of the opposing custodians, as both goalkeepers had an easy first half, mopping up casual shots that came from distance.

The only highlight of the first half was in the 25th minute when Mandakini Devi found the back of the net through a sweet chip over the onrushing custodian but the referee called the play offside. Both teams went into the tunnel on level pegging at half-time as the scoreline read 0-0.

Changing over, ESU maintained pressure on the Sethu FC defence line, constantly bombarding them with attacks. In the 68th minute, Prameshwori Devi's shot from distance hit the Sethu defence line and prompted her to appeal for a handball inside the box, but the referee thought otherwise.

Playing compactly, Sethu FC relied on counter-attacks and their defence line cleared dangerous long balls attempted by ESU. In the 76th minute, Prameshwori Devi found Roja Devi in the box, but the latter's shot lacked venom and was easily mopped up by the opposition goalkeeper.

In the 85th minute, Roja Devi missed a sitter when she failed to tap-in from close range after Prameshwori Devi's low cross found her inside the box. Two minutes later at the other end, Indumathi failed to make the most out her opportunity after she ran clear of the ESU defence line, but shot wide of goal.

The full-time scoreline read 0-0 as the match progressed to extra time. In the 99th minute the deadlock was finally broken when Prameshwori Devi stepped up and smashed the ball into the back of the net to give ESU a solitary goal lead.

In the 105th minute, Mandakini Devi scored directly from a free-kick to double ESU's lead over Sethu FC and put the tie to bed as the scoreline read 2-0. With the win ESU progressed to the finals where they will face Rising Student Club on Saturday (April 14).

Source: AIFF Release

For Quick Alerts
Subscribe Now
For Quick Alerts
For Daily Alerts

    Read more about: iwl football sethu fc sport
    Story first published: Thursday, April 12, 2018, 18:33 [IST]
    Other articles published on Apr 12, 2018
    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. This includes cookies from third party social media websites and ad networks. Such third party cookies may track your use on Mykhel sites for better rendering. Our partners use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Mykhel website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time. Learn more