Vienna, June 18: After Rafael Nadal, US Open champion and world number 4 Dominic Thiem pulled out of Tokyo Olympics, the Austrian tennis star has confirmed.
"Hi everybody, I have some sad news to share with you all. After talking with my team and analysing the situation I have taken the very difficult decision to withdraw from competing in the Tokyo Olympics," Thiem said in a statement on Twitter.
Thiem doesn't feel "ready" to play his best game in Tokyo. The tennis star said his goal is to give his best at Wimbledon and defend his US Open title. "For me, like all athletes, taking part in the Olympics and representing my country is a huge honour and that makes this decision even tougher. However, 2021 did not start as expected and I don't feel ready to play my best in Tokyo," Thiem said
"These last two weeks I have been training hard - and I'm starting to improve my conditioning and concentration little by little. My goal is to work hard in the coming weeks, give my best at Wimbledon and keep training and hopefully defend my US Open title.
"I wish the entire Austrian team travelling to Tokyo all the best. I am young and I hope to be able to play for Austria at the Olympics in Paris 2024. See you all soon," he added.
Spanish tennis player Rafael Nadal has also decided to skip this year's Wimbledon and the Olympic Games in Tokyo. The 13-time French Open champion said his goal is to prolong his career and to compete at the highest level of the sport.
Tokyo Olympics will begin on July 23 and the Games will run up to August 8 this year. The event was slated to be held last year, but it was postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.